Monday, June 16, 2008

A little something about us.

I just returned from a fabulous vacation in Sunriver, Oregon and it dawned on me that it was time to start sharing my travel experiences with the masses. My husband and I have three children. Our oldest daughter, Amber, is twelve year's old and has a disability. She has a diagnosis of atypical Rett Syndrome which affects her both cognitively and physically. Our son is a year and a half younger than her (almost eleven) and our youngest child has just turned nine. She was adopted from Romania and has her own set of issues that must be taken into consideration when planning a trip, but by and large, this blog will be about traveling with Amber. It will obviously not be a daily or even a weekly blog, but one to check in on a few times per year. I will backtrack, however, with the first few blog entries to include several vacations we have taken over the past couple of years. I will try to provide information and links to resources we have found helpful on our trips as well as some of the basics - like where to stop and where not to stop to use a restroom on road trips.

In addition to traveling, I spearheaded an effort in my town to create Idaho's First Universally Accessible Playground. I have worked hard to ensure that Amber is included in her school, her community and most certainly within her family activities. I hope that my experiences will benefit other families who are raising a child with a disability.

No comments: